Second George Sibley Tyson Store

One-story brick commercial building constructed in two stages; the western half of the building was built in 1916, and the nearly identical eastern half was added c. 1927. Both sections display large angled display windows topped by multi-pane transoms, recessed double-leaf entrances and a modestly corbeled cornice which extends the width of both buildings. Each structure has a stepped parapet roofline on the side elevations. The rear and side elevations are broken by six-over-six windows set in segmental arches. The ceiling of the earlier building is covered in pressed tin, while the ceiling of the 1927 portion is sheathed with tongue-and-groove boards. A painted sign advertising “Ballard’s Obelisk Flour” fills the west elevation and recalls the structure’s original use as a general merchandise store which offered dry goods, groceries, seed, feed, coal and furniture. The Tyson Store remained in business until the mid-l960s, and was operated, after George Sibley Tyson’s death in 1943, by his sons, George and William. The building remains in family ownership and today houses an antiques shop. (SM, 0, AH, SU, HG)

Listed on Waxhaw’s website documented for the National Register of Historic Places, page 32 (page 44/161 in PDF – http://waxhaw.com/DocumentCenter/View/1087/July-16-Meeting-Materials-Part-1-and-2)

48. C

608 Old Providence Road, Waxhaw NC

1916 and c. 1927

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: